As you noted, the "standard" way is to make dits with the thumb, and this practice was indeed adopted because that is how bugs worked. If you do it differently, though, so be it. Most new radios now have the ability to switch this via a menu selection, so that even if you do go to Field Day and use someone else's gear, it should be relatively simple to change the setting.

73!

Dan KB6NU
CW Geek and MI Affiliated Club Coordinator
Read my ham radio blog at www.kb6nu.com
LET'S GET MORE KIDS INTO HAM RADIO!

On Mar 20, 2007, at 6:56 AM, Mike Geddes wrote:
When using a paddle key, I have naturally used left (thumb) for dahs and right for dits, and set my gear up that way. I think I read during K1 build and setup that this is reverse from the "normal" setting. Also read somewere else that the dits on left and dahs on right setup evolved from use of bugs, and that if you were to go to field day and use another's rig with paddle it would most likely be setup that way.

I know this may be a subjective question . . . but is there a "standard" for this? Is it purely personal preference?

I would be interested in your insight and opinions!

73,

Mike
N4JX