You can have a band scope on the K2. Check out the March/April QEX for the article on the Z-90 Panadapter kit. Works with most radios, but integrates particularly well with the K2. You can read the article online if you don't subscribe. The link is http://www.arrl.org/qex/2007/03/smith.pdf

You can read even more at www.cliftonlaboratories.com

73,
Larry N8LP

Brett gazdzinski wrote:
I have had a couple of 756 pro's, and they are nice radios.
Quite a bargain at about $1500.00. The 756 (non pro) seems
to have had the display problems (lines).
Its quite a sharp looking and working rig.

I cant say I know how they work under battle conditions on CW,
but it seems good for typical use.
I suspect, if you want the best receiver for CW contest type
conditions, the K2 is tops at any price, or real close.

I do love the band scope on the 756 pro.

Its noisy, and on AM and SSB its average quality both transmit and receive,
on par with other of the same type rigs I suppose.

Its easy to use though, lots of knobs and buttons, which is better
than menus I suppose. Its big, heavy, and sucks lots of power.

I have mine mainly for an RF exciter for the big homebrew AM rigs,
and the band scope. I have never actually made a contact with it by
itself, but I listen on it from time to time.

I tell you what, I have had a 756 pro for years now, and never had any real desire to get on the air with it on any mode.

I am trying to get up to speed with the code so I CAN get on the air
with the K2.

Brett
N2DTS

Having just spent quite a bit of time comparing the rigs in that price range before I just purchased the K2, I would say you best bet would be the Ten-Tec Omni

http://www.elecraft.com/K2_perf.htm - performance comparisons between K2 and other rigs.

http://www.arrl.org/tis/info/pdf/020910qex036.pdf - an explanation of why the simpler designs of the K2 and the Ten-Tec perform so well.

The TS-2000 is a good all around rig, and it would be handy to have, but especially after using the K2, I think you may be a bit disappointed with the receiver. It is my understanding that the digital IF filters are a big help.

The Icom I ended up drifting away from after hearing about quite a few problems with the backlight on the LCD. But you can see its performance ratings on the page above also. As I said, I was trying to make a decision in that price range, and ended up at the K2.

Just think, for half of that, you could build the QRP version, and have a second receive......

David Wilburn
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
K4DGW
K2 #5982

Phil Zminda wrote:
Now that I've been using my K2 serial # 5719 for a while, I
am a bit disappointed in my Ten-Tec Jupiter, particularly when there are strong CW signals on adjacent frequencies. I was always a Ten-Tec fan and loved my Corsair II, but wanted to try a newer design radio. Now, I'm thinking of selling or trading the Jupiter, but I wonder what's out there in the $1200 to $1500 range (new or used) that might be a step up from the Jupiter in receiver performance. Without opening up a can of worms, I'd like to hear some feedback on the IC 746 Pro, Ten-Tec Omni VI, TS-2000 or any others I may have over-looked. What else are you guys using?
Thanks for this great resource. It's been a great help in
getting to know my K2.
Phil N3ZP