Hi,

My K2/100, s/n 4787, has experienced most of the model anomolies that have been reported here on the reflector. My primary concern since day one has been that the microphone audio input is simply not sufficient to drive the K2 to full modulation on transmit. Changing the resistor on the SSB as was suggested here on the reflector had only marginal results. Finally after tiring of yelling into the microphone for two years I built the preamp proposed by Don here on the reflector. No more yelling and that is great. I built it into my home built digital interface. The mike plugs into the interface and a switch choses between the mike and computer.

I've always been concerned about the S-meter accuracy and audio volume. This week while trying to refine the S-meter adjustments it became very apparent that their adjustment greatly affects audio volume. After very carefully studying the responsitivity of the LO and Hi adjustments it appears that finally S9 is in fact S9. However, the scale is not linear. With S9 correct it is basically impossible to get a reading between S1 and S4. The amazing thing is with S9 correct the audio volume is the equal to about a third or more turn of the volume pot in the louder direction. The S-meter calibration in the manual really needs help. So for those constantly experiencing low audio double check your S-meter calibration.

Well, off my soapbox for now.  Just wanted to share my experiences.

Jim, AB0UK
K2/100  s/n 4787