Lenny,

I have more than 20 CF lamps ranging from 13w to 42w and from several
different manufacturers in my house, and have never heard anything I could
identify as noise from the devices, with one exception:  one of the oldest
lamps, a 13w model that was used to light the stairwell down to the
basement, caused an AC hash-type noise on my Yaesu FT1000MP at about S2.  It
was not very loud, but enough to bother me while I was on a net on 7.2Mhz.
This lamp was about 20 feet from the radio, and more than 50 feet from the
antenna which is a B&W loop fed with coax.  Otherwise, I've never had noise
problems either from the CF lamps or the 40w flourescent tubes which light
the basement.

In particular, I have five 19w lamps that light my study area (where the
K2 is used on a CW net every morning), and have absolutely no problem with
them.  Any noise created is below the normal 40/80m noise levels.

So, though the potential is there, I think the manufacturers have done a
pretty good job of designing tiny switching supplies that are reasonably
quiet for these lamps.

I'll be interested to see what anybody else has to say on the subject...

73, Van W1WCG

We have a couple (four, to be precise) CF bulbs in the house, two of which
are in the two bedside reading lamps in our bedroom.  Whenever the XYL or
myself switches (or is it "switch"?) any of these lamps the cable TV box
switches off the current program on the TV and shows the main menu.  Never
fails...

Waiting for Wayne to figure out how to make a LED bedside lamp big enough to
conceal a K2, so I can sneak it into the bedroom, and pretend the headphones
are for the iPod...

Cheers,

Alan 8P9BM