I live on the southern shore of Fidalgo Island where the fresh salt air turns
metal of most sorts into new colors.  In order to minimize corrosion I have
come up with the following technique.  After all the soldering and close
trimming is done on a project, I go back over every lead end and give it a
touch of solder to cover those copper ends that are anxious to turn green.  It
takes less than a second on each component lead.  Doing so also makes for a
very smooth board.  Next comes a very thorough cleaning with Q tips, tooth
brush and denatured alcohol the remove all the flux.  After cleaning, I give
the board a thin coating of Boeshield, an anti-corrosion spray developed by
Boeing Aircraft.  If you use the thin red extension "straw" and very gently
depress the spray button, you can get a very thin coating on the board without
getting it on the components.  Quickly tipping the board back and forth will
cover everything before the solvent flashes off.  You can also just spray some
into a small cup and use Q tips to apply if you are wary of variable caps.
After it dries, you can either leave it with a slightly waxy coating or wipe it
down with no loss of protection.

I have 20 year old projects that look as bright and shiny as the day the were
built.  This stuff works well to keep tools from rusting.  I also use it on
boat electrical systems with great success.  And no, I don't own Boeing.

72/73,

N7NSD
Norm