The K3 is a modern, high-performance radio with many features never seen in this size or price class. Of necessity, about 60% of the components are surface mount (SMD).

In order to ensure consistency in performance at this level of integration, we must 100% test all of these surface-mount components after installation. But such testing is very difficult unless *all* of the components and connectors are present at manufacturing test time. So, we elected to create a modular, no-soldering kit: all of the modules are pre-assembled and pre-tested. By implication, all toroids are pre-wound, too :)

By pre-testing the modules, we can guarantee that any K3 -- whether purchased factory assembled or built as a kit -- will have identical performance.

Modular kit builders will find the K3 very easy to build, yet not without effort: there are over 100 individual pieces of hardware, many modules, sheet metal panels, bezels, knobs, etc. The builder will also perform a number of firmware-assisted alignment steps. The assembly manual will serve as an RF theory tutorial, so that you'll learn a lot about how the radio works. Builders will, we hope, have a deeper understanding of the K3. And they'll save a significant amount of money in the process.

We will continue to offer all of our present traditional kits, and will have new full kits in the future. We hope that first-time builders who tackle the K3 will also try their hand at soldering, building, and experimentation. We hope to offer some SMD-based kits in the future where the builder gets to install all of the parts -- but it probably won't be anything at the level of the K3.

Please send any comments or suggestions regarding the K3 kit philosophy to [EMAIL PROTECTED] (or [EMAIL PROTECTED]).

Of course this is also a potentially lively topic for the reflector. We welcome your views.

73,
Wayne, N6KR
Eric, WA6HHQ

---