David Fleming wrote:

Does the K3 use the same command structure as the
K2 (SW; DS; IF; etc) ?

Yes, with many new commands. Initially it will emulate the K2, and we'll grow the command set as time permits.

Are you using encoders rather than pots for RF
and AF gain?

Everything is controlled by encoders except main/sub AF gain, RF gain, and squelch. But these pots are read by the computer, so the remote-control interface can "capture" all of the parameters. The pots would take control only if rotated again by the operator.

Will menu navigation  be better supported than on the K2
(if only the annunciator byte would follow the menu)?

Yes, but the details aren't settled yet.

Will you
publish the commands necessary to do firmware updates or will that be
proprietary?

All command details will be published.

I second (or third) the vote for "wake on serial".

Right now it's "turn-on by grounding the /POWER-ON line". This will require a logic line or contact closure from the computer. Wake-up on serial requires that the MCU be powered, or that the I/O card have a powered comparator. Maybe in a future hardware revision -- can't guarantee it for first shipments.

But hey, the K3 is modular for just this sort of reason  :)

I'm curious if you developed the  psk, tty decode/encode software in
house?

Yes.

I'm sure that was a challenge. I've been researching the topic
and hope to eventually build that functionality into my K2 control
software. Most challenging indeed, for me.

It's a combination of DSP and MCU code in the K3, and works very well. A lot of hair was lost in Belmont CA and Mt. Vernon WA during this process ;)

Congrats on the new release! I'm sure these are exciting times for all
of you at Elecraft. I wish you much success..

Thanks!

Would you like to write a Mac version of the K3 Downloader, presently written in Microsoft C-sharp?

73,
Wayne
N6KR

---