As a prospective overseas purchaser of a K3 I think Rick raises a very interesting point. Given the nature of the K3 construction it would hopefully lend itself to a flexible repair philosophy.

To give a couple of examples: The company I work for has been trying to get our customers, most of whom are used to fixing radios at the component level to move toward viewing the entire radio as the line replaceable unit (LRU) To say this causes some difficulties, usually political, would be an understatement, but faced with multi layer surface mount construction anything more than module replacement is pretty much out of the question, especially since the radio is all DSP from the second IF down. It is at the module replacement that the balance seems to be struck I have found.

A similar situation occurs with amateur radio products. Once upon a time we all (most) got inside pulled tubes, swapped overheated out of tolerance parts etc now when it breaks, as they all do, we are told send it back, all of it, all 20-30 pounds/kilos and more. If I can with confidence and assistance determine which module is bad and pull that for shipment at probably less than 1 or 2 pounds weight then I am going to be a much happier camper, especially with overseas mailing rates. It is also often much easier on customs formalities , both import and export when dealing with modules as opposed to radios.

If such a process is intended for the K3 then it just gained another $200-300 dollars perceived value in my book.

Martin, HS0ZED

p.s. Has anybody confirmed if the K3 will be at Friedrichshafen at the end of June?

Rick Wheeler wrote:
As owner of K2 No. 2005 I look forward to owning a K3 some time in the future.
Nice job Elecraft!

I haven't yet seen an estimated build time for the K3. The consensus seems the
K2 is usually around 40-60 hours for the first time K2 builder. Because of the
K3's modular plug in construction I would assume the build time will be much
less. Any estimates on the build time?

Also, I am curious as to how "smart" the K3 is in regards to self diagnostics
for potential failures of various boards or components. Is there a significant amount of
the routine (say compared to the K2) devoted to isolating and detecting faults and
failures?

And are the boards designed (and/or will Elecraft encourage) for the
builder/owner to fix them on site? Or once a potential troublesome board is
identified will we normally send it back for repair or exchange?

The two items I like the most on my K2 (and other Elecraft product) is firstly the performance and at a close second is I never have to worry about being unable to fix, service, or align the radio. Of course, it is obvious the K3 retains both those qualities.
Rick
K4LX