Greg,

The K2 needs a high output microphone, and that usually means an electret type element. Most Icom mics (and Heil mics with the 'iC' suffix) are the high output electret type. If you choose one of these and wire your K2 configuration header for ICOM (with a 5.6k resistor between the AF pin and the 5 volt pin), you should be able to just plug it in.

The other electret mic that I know works well are those from TenTec - the 701 is the hand mic. They come with a 4 pin mic connector that you must change to 8 pins, but you can wire the new mic plug for any mic configuration that you want - I suggest the Elecraft wiring - straight across (use computer jumpers) on the mic header.

73,
Don W3FPR

Greg Derda wrote:
Hi all,

I am in the process of building K2 #6001 and need to start thinking about a microphone. I've looked over the Reflector archives, and it seems that there are lot of little mods needed for a variety of microphones. The simplest solution would be a MH2, but I don't know that I can wait until the June 15 production date. Question is, can I not just jumper my K2 for Kenwood, buy a Heil HM-10 or Handi_Mic, and plug-n-play (without any internal K2 mods)? I will get a Pro Set someday, but I just want a decent little microphone to get me started. Any suggestions?

Thanks and 73,
Greg
KI4MMM