AE5X:
>As I understand it, the main purpose of a sub-rx is to allow diversity
reception based on the fact that this 2nd receiver would be using a
different antenna than the main rx, correct?

        Diversity is probably not what most people use
the Sub-RX for.  The main use is more likely to be
listening on two different frequencies simultaneously.
For example listening for DX while also participating
in a net.  Or in a widely split DX pileup like BS7H,
finding the station he's working while also listening
on his TX frequency.  It's very easy to find where DX
is listening using this technique.

        Diversity is probably <1% of what most people use
a Sub-RX for, but is very important to some like myself
who have multiple RX antennas on the low bands.  DX
station fading is often minimized by listening both on
my directional vertical TX array as well as a Beverage.
Or in a contest I might want to listen on two different
Beverages (different directions) simultaneously.

                                        73,  Bill  W4ZV