>From: David Ferrington <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Sorry, I'm relatively new ham, so if that's frowned upon, forgive me.
>Only a lot of people in my club work VHF contests (I've ordered an XV144)
>and use a beep a lot.

Dave, don't let them grind you down.  A "roger beep" is very common is radio
service, just not in the ham bands.  It is a common sense feature that most
folks (including astronauts) find helpful.  Just not most hams.

Hams say that on FM and AM phone you know the other fellow is done because
the carrier is gone.  On a repeater, there is a tone.  On sideband, he says
"over."

I would bet they sell 1,000 times more FRS radios with roger beep that all
the ham radios combined.  If you like roger beep, buy a mic that has it and
be happy.  I would draw the line, however, at echo and barnyard sounds.

Ken KC2JDY