W3FPR said:
"The real facts are: 1) I will order my initial K3 with only the stock
2.7 kHz filter."

followed later by

"My best recommendation at this time: Understand the consequences of
depending on a wide roofing filter while making your decisions - if
you choose only the wide filter, live with it for a while."

First, for the majority of readers here, I fully agree with the
approach of starting out without anything extra (roofing filters).

Second, I really have to chuckle at the entire RELATIVELY of these
discussions (not directed to Don, whom I hold in high esteem).  Other
than Orion, or home brew/post-market mod, you simply can't get a
NARROWER roofing filter in any double/triple/quad conversion ham radio
on the market than 3.0kc.

A 2.7 kc roofing filter is not "wide" compared to what else is out
there...quite the opposite, it is THE MOST NARROW (exceptions cited
above).  You are STARTING OUT  NARROWER than everything else!  Calling
a 2.7kc roofing filter "wide" is a big misnomer (at least for me).  As
an example, the highly respected (by many, not me) Icom 756 Pro III
has a 15.0kc wide roofing filter.  Now THAT IS what I call wide.

http://www.icomamerica.com/products/amateur/756proIII/

Excluding Europe and Japan, the odds of a non-contester, non-top
band-DXer needing anything narrower than the stock 2.7 for ssb/cw is
remote, at best.

I dare say that even most contesters won't need anything
narrower...only the upper tier who want to battle it out with the
best.  The number of times a contester will actually NEED a 500 hz
roofing filter is very small (comparing the number of QSO's where it
is needed to the total number of QSO they make during a contest in
which they are top-tier).

Of course, there is no accounting for those who simply "want it" even
if they never need it.  Price elasticity (for you economics buffs) for
a item perceived to carry PRESTIGE can have no known bounds.

:-)

de Doug KR2Q