Bill Tippett wrote:

My point is that you introduce unnecessary complexity with the vast number of roofing filters. 400 vs 500, 250 vs 200, etc.

We're providing a range of options so the customer can decide which they want. We may add supplemental information to the order form to make decisions easier, but we're not likely to reduce the number of filters offered.

As one example here are Elecraft's own specs for the 400 8-pole versus 250 8-pole:

Filter          6 dB BW 60 dB BW

KFL3-400K       435 Hz  935 Hz
KFL3-250K       370 Hz  785 Hz

The reason we offer both of these INRAD filters is that they're both, historically speaking, very popular. I agree that the frequency spacing of these filters could be clarified in their literature, but again, we offer them because our customers asked for them, and we're passing along the model numbers used by INRAD.

We offer our own narrow filter (200 Hz) for those who really want to maximize rejection of unwanted signals in CW and data modes. Such narrow bandwidths have been very popular over the years, including in the K2.

In my opinion these filters are redundant and unnecessarily complicate the ordering process. 65 Hz difference in 6 dB BW is hardly worth bothering with, especially since both are 8-pole and their IMD/BDR performance is likely to be identical.

As I explained above, this is a somewhat anomalous historical situation. If INRAD would like to create alternative filters with different specs, we're open to offering them.

It's your decision of course but I'm a believer in "keep it simple". I would offer only the best filter for a given BW, predetermined by Elecraft and based upon actual IMD/BDR measurements inside the K3.

Eventually we'll have such measurements. For now, we're not about to limit anyone's personal choice.

We'll also provide great leeway in letting customers change their order if new information causes them to rethink their filter complement.

73,
Wayne
N6KR

---