John,

That certainly sounds like the behavior of an unsoldered connection.

We can trace everything from end to end through the power control circuits if need be, but for now, look at the schematic and find the VRFDET signal line and check any components that connect to that line. Then check the capacitors that you added to the back of the control board for proper placement and good soldering. The VPWR and VALC signals are also involved in the power control circuits.

Do you have the basic K2 or do you have the KPA100 attached? How about a KAT2 or KAT100? Those add circuitry to the power control loop.

73,
Don W3FPR

John Lamoreaux wrote:
I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction for starting to troubleshoot a K2 (no options installed).

I was in the middle of a QSO yesterday, when my power output started fluctuating. Up to this point, I've had no troubles since I finished building the rig. It may not be relevant, but I had just installed a new run of coax. The antenna's SWR showed fine on my antenna analyzer and on another rig, though.

Here's the situation now. Receive works fine. When I try to transmit, however, the power out jumps all over the place, way up or way down, sometimes giving me a high current warning. The current being drawn is also jumping all over the place.

It is not being caused by a mismatched antenna. The same happens into a dummy load. A meter connected to the dummy load, by the way, shows that the actual power out is also fluctuating.

So starting from section 160 of the troubleshooting guide (Power output fluctuates), I'm not sure where to go next, as the causes there listed are either the antenna or build errors.