Folks,

> We will not be entering into any exclusive dealer relationships in
> Europe. Regardless of who may be selling K3s Europe, we will always
> accept direct Internet orders.

With the K3 now being in partly preassembled or fully reassembled,
Elecraft  ought to double-check on the rules to sell to end-users to the EU.
That includes the more or less basic stuff (CE mark), the hype
stuff (ROHS -- is the K3 compliant?), to the electronic waste stuff
(WEEE). If a dealer imports the stuff, its his responsibility.

That, the VAT (which usually is included in EU prices), electronics waste
handling, stricter than US warranty rules all add up to the sales cost.

Thad said, there is little justifying a 100% markup, but
be aware that importing yourself also bears a certain risk and could
become more expensive than originally thought. For example, here in
Germany, now that (thankfully) USPS does not ship via GLS anymore, but
Deutsche Post seems to not to like going through the hassle of doing
the customs work, but rather find any excuse to just dump the goods to
the customs office and sending you a notification to deal with it
yourself (perhaps having to drive to a quite remote customs office to
pick it up).

So the quote you get from your local dealer might not entirely have just
the purpose of ripping you off...

Regards,

Mario
(not affiliated to any dealer, and always having ordered directly from
Elecraft)

--
Mario Lorenz                            Internet:    <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
                                        Ham Radio:   [EMAIL PROTECTED]