Just a quick comment on stripping/tinning of toroid leads...

I've built the Norcal40A, K1, and K2, all without tinning the
toroid leads (I do make certain that the leads are scrupulously
free of enamel). All three rigs work great. Maybe the reason I
get away without tinning the leads is that I use silver solder,
which seems to be "wetter" than regular solder, and I take care
to ensure that the solder has obviously flowed onto the leads
and pads before moving on. My use of silver solder was on the
recommendation of the fellow from whom I purchased the
Norcal40A.

However, I admit to a bit of fear and trepidation, after reading
Don's warning about the consequences of not properly tinning
the toroid leads! I've got some crowmeat in the freezer, just in
case I have to eat some!

Terry - W1BPJ