I'm offering this just on the off-chance you haven't tried it.

Sometimes the noise level that roars out of the speaker with the AF gain
turned up really isn't strong enough to trigger the NB even at low threshold
levels. In that case, turning the Preamp On (and turning the audio gain
down) often causes the noise to disappear!

I wonder if your friend had his K2's preamp on and you didn't when you ran
the side-by-side test? A lot of operators leave the preamp on all the time.
The K2's design allows that to be done without any obvious problems in most
situations.

Ron AC7AC