Mixers can have a big impact on how a receiver
works, noise, distortion, overload, and other things.

I don't know about the H mode mixer, but I am sure a web
search would give lots of info.
I did a search on single signal direct conversion
receivers and got a boatload of very interesting
info!

I have not paid much attention to 'modern' stuff, I like
to build things with tubes, otherwise you need circuit
boards, odd parts I don't have in the junk box, etc,
but its very interesting to read about!

I have had good luck with a 6BE6 as a mixer, antenna goes
into grid 1 (after a high Q tuned circuit), grid 2
gets the local osc input, and the 4 frequencies come out
the plate. Only the 455KHz passes through the filter on the output.

I would guess, at least in some respects, the more mixers
you have, the more noise, distortion and problems you can have.

Brett
N2DTS