Is it really as simple as changing the crystal in the
SoftRock 40 from 7.038 to 8.215 to provide a band
scope for the K3? Seems too easy. I use the "Rocky"
program to manage the display.

You do NOT want an 8.215 MHz crystal (or 4 x 8.215 MHz) for the softrock if you attach it to the IF pickup of the K3 for a bandscope. The softock has very little isolation of the L.O. to its antenna input, and you'll inject a lot of energy directly into the IF of the K3.

You want the softrock injection on the LOW side of 8.215 MHz. I can't tell you what the best frequency might be because I don't know, but I suspect 8.200 or thereabouts. You may also want/need an isolation amplifier to ensure the reverse coupling back into the K3 is at a very low level.

73,

Lyle KK7P