It would be easier just to dump the  6db  per  S unit
scale and do what the professionals do, that  is use
the DbUV scale. You could  then  have readings in
precise 3db steps. Most new military receivers are now
calibrated in DbuV.

However with the advent of new generation of Software
Defined radios like Flexradio 5000, you can have 1db
accuracy on your S meter.  The RFSPACE SDR14 likewise
allows for accurate level readings. I believe the Omni
7 also has an calibrated S  meter.

Collins confused things by specifying 100 uv for S9,
however that was open circuit voltage not  across 50
ohms which was later adopted  by the IARU.  There is
still some confusion today  about the 100 microvolt
versus the 50 microvolt level. Kenwood specifies 100
microvolts for S 9 and others 50uv.

We should just dump all these innacurate methods and
get inline with   commercial practice. Once your S
meter is caibrated in DbUV it would be easy to have an
alternate scale in S units thats both reliable and
accurate. However  since the K3 was the last great
hope in innovative analogue engineering, we just have
to accept that its S meter is not calibrated.

Craig
VK3HE