-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Dave Van
Wallaghen
Sent: Thursday, May 17, 2007 9:17 AM
To: 'Greg Derda'; elecraft@mailman.qth.net
Subject: RE: [Elecraft] K2/KPA100 vs. EC2/KPA100

Hi Greg,

If you search the list archives, you'll find all kinds of info for this.

I put my KPA100 and KAT100 in an EC2 last fall and find it to be a
really slick setup. Lyle, KK7P has a nice webpage full of pics and
details for doing the split: http://www.kk7p.com/k2kpa100.html

To answer your questions:

> 1.  Whether the KPA100 behaves (i.e., "appears") the same to the K2 as

> if it were internal?

Yes. As long as the AuxBus connection exists.

> 2.  Is it a simple plug-n-play to either use or not use the EC2 setup?

I assume you mean pulling the "basic" K2 out of the setup for
portable/separate use - Yes. Unplug the RF connections and AuxBus cable
and your ready to go.

> 3.  For QPR ops with the EC2 setup, can you run just the KAT100
> without having to power the KPA100?

The KPA100 will still have "minimal" power applied. It will be in bypass
mode when you turn the power pot down below 10 watts. And yes the KAT100
is still active. (This is the case whether the KPA100 is separated or
not).

I put the KIO2, KAT2 and KB2 in my basic K2 when I split the KPA100 out.
Having a KIO2 installed makes the split very clean and easy. Although,
you can do the split without the KIO2 - Lyle describes that in detail.
His description using the KIO2 can be found toward the bottom of that
page.

Hope this answers your questions.

Dave W8FGU