We just had the exact same thing happen to a CFL - intermittent operation and very hot, to the point of it being a fire hazard. It's not the first one we've had fail, but the first to overheat.

73 Fraser G4BJM

From: "Jeremiah McCarthy" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: Elecraft@mailman.qth.net
Subject: [Elecraft] CFL lamps
Date: Fri, 18 May 2007 08:53:31 -0500

I have had CFL's throughout the house for years with no complaints, until recently...I had been working in the basement and having finished my chore, came upstairs...I smelled the familiar odor of "things electronic" burning...The table lamp in the living room was out and was the source of the odor...

The 20 watt "twisty" was so hot I could not touch it, and when it cooled enough to remove it the white base was blistered and had small cracks in the plastic base radiating out from around the glass tube...It is my opinion that we came very close to afire...Cutting the base open revealed a small PCB that was badly scorched...I will continue to use CFL's but will be sure they are reputable name brand units, although with out-sourcing, I guess we can't be sure that means anything...This one was a GE and was made in China...

Jerry, wa2dkg