In an issue of Radcom published between 1999 and 2006, which I shall have to find, IIRC there is some comment on the the G5RV with references. If I remember correctly Captain Varney G5RV first published the design in the 1940s, could well have been in 1946, and the antenna was intended to be used on 20m only. The multiband application came later.Will report back ASAP unless somebody else comes up with the history of the G5RV in the meantime.

73,
Geoff
GM4ESD

Ron D'Eau Claire <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

From what I can discover, Captain Varney, G5RV, published his antenna design
in England in 1946. I was referencing the comments made about it by John D
Heys, G3BDQ, in his book "Practical Wire Antennas".

You are quite right! It seems like everyone who find an article by Captain
Varney thought that was the "original" article! Actually Capt. Varney was a
prolific author and active Ham before the war and that continued until the
1990's.

His call is now held by the Mid Sussex Amateur Radio Society who writes of
him, "Louis Varney was the president of M.S.A.R.S. for 37 years until his
death in 2000. In later years he was still climbing trees trying to improve
on his famous "G5RV" antanna! (sic)"

Perhaps one of our friends from G-land can find the original article. It was
published in 1946 according to Heys.