Re Louis Varney,
                           I knew Louis Varney,he used to work my friend G2
FIX when he louis was  in his winter home as CX5RV.Bert G2 FIX  told me that
louis varney had  found that with 102 foot top on 20 mtrs the impedence at the
bottom of 300 ohm  feeder was 50 ohms.Now i am only repeating what i was
told.incidentally bert was  licenced in 1932 unfortunatly bert went silent key
a few
years ago sadly  missed but i will never forget him,he was one of my teachers
in the cw  class in salisbury teaching me cw along with G5YN..Regards Dave
G0AYD.