Hi all:

Just as lots of folks needed a tutorial on what a roofing is (and
isn't), I'm sure there are at least an equal number (now including me)
that need an introductory course on Pan displays (specifically, what
we forecast Elecraft might do versus what Softrock can already do -
and not do).

It is hard for me to (currently) understand how there is something out
there already for US$11.00 that apparently provides "what is wanted."
Or maybe it doesn't?

I gather that we need a PC to run Softrock and if you're like me (with
kids), you have lots of computers around the house that are "old" or
minimally used, or currently in use in the shack but with lots of
untapped horsepower still available.  Or maybe you just need an excuse
to upgrade.

I have noted the article in a recent QST on soundcards and I wonder if
we need "the best" sound card to simply get a Pan display (not running
an SDR radio).

What sort of additional functionality might Elecraft include on
"theirs" that would not be available in the Softrock (looking for
conjecture)?

And if you can bascially "do this" for $11.00 (assuming we already
have a PC we can use/share for this app), why would Elecraft even
bother to start to design their own Pan display?

And my final request for the gurus here...please keep it simple and
take an operational approach.  I don't care "how" it does it, I want
to know how the user can USE it, and to compare/contrast Softrock and
whatever E might come out with.

Thanks,
de Doug KR2Q