Hi Toby,

[NOTE: I'm so busy that I'm answering about one e-mail a day, now, and yours is it :) Normally someone else will answer, or the answers will end up in the FAQ later on.]

1) A friend of mine with a big 160m station killed his RX front end because too much power was coming back on his beverages and the rig's RX antenna input was not grounded / disconnected during transmission by the transceiver.

Are the K3 antenna inputs which might be used for RX only antennas protected against too much power coming back via the RX antenna?

All antenna ports have gas-discharge tubes, and the RX-only ports also have carrier-operated relays.

We also monitor the SWR bridge in receive mode (forward/reflected power). If a signal large enough to cause front-end damage appears in the main T-R path (a "reverse transmit" condition), we quickly open the PIN diode path to the receiver, typically in less than 1 ms. The path will recover equally fast when the huge external signal disappears. Obviously this situation is to be avoided, which is why such stations often use external band-pass filters.

2) At our contest QTH when we work multi between some of the antennas we also have a lot of power coming back - roughly 20W in the worst case combination of beams and bands (without the extra band passes).

How strong is the RX front end of the K3? How much power can it handle without releasing its smoke?

See above. At a certain power level the RX path will be opened (and the audio muted) to avoid exposing the preamp, mixer, and down-stream stages to multi-watt signals.

73,
Wayne
N6KR

---