Doug,

1.  QSK.  This is user skill level dependent.  If you
do 20 wpm or less, the K2 QSK may be fine for you.
During contesting, I am going at least 32-34 wpm, and
not uncommonly at 40wpm.  At these speeds and during a
contest, I NEED to hear everything immediately (that
is what top-end contesting is about).  So not hearing
between dits at "slow" contest speeds of 32 wpm is an
issue for me.  NOTE that I still used the K2 despite
that deficit because OVERALL, it is a great radio.
But
for someone used to real QSK, this is not real QSK.
Ask other serious contesters and they will say the
same.  For most K2 users, who are clearly not serious
contesters, this is not an issue at all.  Since the K3
says "very much better QSK than the K2," I would
easily assume that the deficit is real and
acknowledged.

*** I would argue that this is not "skill level"
dependent, but user preference. Considering the number
of Yaesu rigs used by the top ops, QSK isn't an end
all issue. If 32 WPM is "slow", I've been in the wrong
contests. I listen to some of the folks cranking at
over 35WPM and don't see any advantage when you look
at the repeat rates. Maybe time is saved with non
relevant items or repeatable items like CQ TEST or
5NN, but unless conditions or you have a killer
signal, high speed means high repeat rates.

2.  Stable power output.

*** I've not seen this problem in QRP mode with my
K2's either as standalone or with the KPA installed. I
have had some issues on 160, but attribute this more
to my antennas than the radio.

SO IN CONCLUSION
The K2 is an awesome value and for all, including
serious contesters. At US$600 base, nobody expects it
to be 100% perfect for all market niches.  This is
clearly the ABSOLUTE BEST VALUE going in ham radio.

*** There are more than a few "serious" contesters
here. Like you, I read the various contest reflectors
and I doubt there is a single rig that would define
the "ultimate" contesting radio. This is very
subjective. It is also dependent on the category you
play in, how you operate, what you have for antennas.
What one might want for a major HP M/M operation is
not the same that a SOSB op would want. Yes, there are
basics that everyone wants... a bulletproof receiver
comes to mind ;o) Some of us would like to see the HP
stations have better Tx performance (better keying
shape, stop overdriving their amps).

The K2 has exceeded it's design purpose as I see it.
As a CW contest rig, I can't think of anything I'd
rather have... well except the K3 ;o)

Thanks for the Q in WPX!

Julius
n2wn