On Monday 04 June 2007 11:27:17 Brian Lloyd wrote:

> What we really need is a general purpose device that interfaces on
> the network and may be easily addressed by software.

  It's not widely known that the Linksys WRT54G series wireless
routers have two serial ports that are brought to a board connector
at logic levels. There are no RS-232 level changers on the board
and it follows that Linksys doesn't support them in the firmware.

  http://openwrt.org
 This site has open source GPL firmware that runs an embedded
gnu/linux system, replacing the Linksys firmware.  It runs on many
wireless routers, not only Linksys. The two serial ports are
supported as /dev/ttyS0 and /dev/ttyS1.
  I was disappointed to find that my WRT54G is version 5 and has
only half the flash and ram that versions 1 to 4 have, and consequently
is minimally supported by OpenWRT. So I replaced it with a WRT54GL,
Linksys's acknowledgment that there are tinkerers in the world who
want the original flash and ram back, at a higher price of course.

  There is a serial over Bluetooth standard.
All that's needed is Simon's HRD to invent, or use a serial over Wifi
and connect our serial enabled radios to a router's serial port.
 With the router's firmware open source and clever people so minded,
operating the radio over the network isn't so distant a dream.

  Then there's Tentec's Omni VII, an already network enabled
transceiver with an Ethernet connection, easily added to a consumer
network.

 I think Elecraft missed an opportunity in the design of the K3
regarding networking.

Ian, G4ICV, AB2GR, K2 #4962