Mike,

Those jumpers go on the component side - they are handy clip-on points for the ground side of DMM and 'scope probes and such, so make these ones tall enough so you can accomplish that purpose. Mount these two on the Control Board about 1/4 inch high because there are components almost directly below them which hinder that attachment of clip leads.

The manual does not say so, but if you are able, make them out of stout wire (16 gauge IIRC). The cutoff leads of 1N4007 diodes work nicely. You might consider delaying the install of these grounding points until you do some work on the RF board which will then yield some of the 1N4007 leads.

You will find 4 similar grounding loops on the RF board, and I advise you to make all of them from the 1N4007 diode leads, and make them tall enough so they are useful for connecting clip leads onto - some builders put the loop quite close to the board and if that is done, they are next to useless.

73,
Don W3FPR

Michael Casey wrote:

Hi All,
I've just started building K2 # 6317 and I have a question about the Control
Board.  On page 17 (Right column 4th down, Fig. 4-6) the manual says to
solder 2 jumpers next to the ground symbols in the upper right and left hand
corners.  It isn't clear to me if the jumpers should be placed on the
component side of the board or the bottom side of the board.  It may not
matter, but no sense finding out the hard way that it does.

Thanks,

Mike Casey
KC9ORD