I do a fair bit of digital recording. Ticks and pops are usually a sign that the DSP engine is not processing samples fast enough, usually because of latency in the operating system. I would expect this to be a less-likely problem with dedicated DSP where the designer knows ahead of time how he/she wants to spend the CPU cycles to ensure that the CPU is never saturated. I do not for a moment believe that this is a problem inherent in the use of DSP in the IF/ demod stages.

73 de Brian, WB6RQN
Brian Lloyd - brian HYPHEN wb6rqn AT lloyd DOT com