Here is (was) my "take" on S meters:
http://www.ac6rm.net/mailarchive/html/elecraft-list/2007-05/msg01072.html

Next.  I think that an adjustable "sensitivity" for the S meter (how
many db/S) is great for my purposes.  Frankly, I don't care if the guy
I'm working is S1 or 20 over, just so long as I can hear him.

However, when I am doing things that require a RELATIVE scale (testing
antennas, aligning things, etc), all I care about is "is condition 2
better or worse than condition 1?"

One of the YUCK things about a bar graph S meter is that you can't see
tiny increments (at least I can't).  If I can twiddle the db/S unit,
then I suspect that I'll be able to observe TINY changes, more like
what I might be able to see on an analog meter (mechanical).

So I think this sounds GREAT to me.  Hope it goes does down to 1db per
S unit!  I do have an 82db step attenuator, so I'm all set.

Audio:  I think a classic case is the TR7.  For the time, a great
front end right out of the box.  But OMG, what an aweful audio
amp!!!!!!  It was wonderful to hear tiny signals when surrounded by
other BIG signals (especially at M/M...we had 10 TR7's), but wow, did
one get a headache from all that GARBAGE audio (I can't even call it
bad quality because it still has the word "quality").

How many big dollars when into good design (for the time) only to send
it out through a 99 cent AF amp.  UGH...

Hope things are in order with the K3....

de Doug KR2Q