Hi Mike,

On this reflector, I'm surprised no one has mentioned the XG1 and XG2 kits that
can be used to easily calibrate an S-meter *to* a known standard.  I used the
XG2 first to become acquainted with Elecraft kit building (now I can't get
enough!), and then to check the meter on my FT-857D (which needs a slight
adjustment as it's reading a tad high at 50uV).

Many rigs use the AGC voltage for the s-meter, which means often, especially below S9, the curve is anything but 6dB per S-meter-unit. So even if your rig does S9 correctly, the chances are that S5 will be
wildly wrong.

But you are right, better a correct indication of S9 than nothing. And the XG1 is a nice tool for this, especially if you can verify the signal level which it is producing.

vy 73 de toby
--
DD5FZ, 4N6FZ (ex dj7mgq, dg5mgq, dd5fz)
K2 #885, K2/100 #3248