Scott,

That sounds like you have a K2/100 there (using a 30 amp? power supply).
There is no circuit breaker in the KPA100, but if you are using the supplied power cord, the manual instructs you to add a 20 amp fuse in the power supply lead.

The base K2 does have a resettable fuse that acts rather quickly.

For my own preference, I would rather rely on the internal power supply circuit breaker (or foldback current limiting or crowbar circuit) than a fuse in the transceiver itself - the breaker in the power supply protects against faults in both the transceiver and the power cable.

If you are seeing erratic HI SWR on your antenna, consider that the KPA100 could be oscillating (especially if it happens on 40 meters) - if that is suspected, I recommend that you add the KPA100UPKT. If your KPA100 kit was shipped after last December, it already has the upgrade, but if it is earlier, it is wise to add it.

73,
Don W3FPR

Scott McDowell wrote:
Is there any way to test the circuit breaker in a K2 without running the risk of damaging the rig?

I have had the circuit breaker in my Icom PS-30 switching power supply trip a couple of times lately because of high swr on the antenna I was trying to use. The power supply always beats the K2 circuit breaker in opening. Seems to me this should be the other way around?
73
Scott N5SM