This occurred to me immediately of course, but the Bencher folks
couldn't assure me that the bare steel base would be suitable for
chrome plating.  They said the reason they don't offer a chrome
version is the reject rate for chromed hex bases. I don't know if this is due to the finish of the steel that appeared in the chrome
finish or not.

I didn't ask the obvious ... how is the Hex Key base different
from the (chrome) bases of their famous square-based paddles?
Perhaps a different supplier and/or material.  Brass?

Along the same line ... if someone has a Hex Key, please look
closely at he top surface of the large square post and see if you
can see file-like marks in the metal that appear in/through the chrome ... especially at each corner. Mine has these, but they are fine enough that they most likely wouldn't show if the post was painted like the base.

Still, it -IS- a fine paddle and a joy to use.

73! Ken Kopp - K0PP
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

----- Original Message ----- From: Brian Lloyd To: Elecraft Reflector Sent: Thursday, 07 June, 2007 03:02
Subject: Re: [Elecraft] Elecraft's HexKey