I have just finished building K2 #6106 and was checking my transmitted tone and
found that it is very "warbly"--sounds like it is underwater--rather than a
nice pure tone.  I figured this could be a result of listening at very close
range on my KX1, so checked with one of those handy remote receivers on the
internet and sure enough, it also sounds like that 700 miles away.

Anybody have any ideas for obvious stuff to check?

I have done voltage checks and a bit of signal tracing--the only anomaly I have
found so far is:

in the transmit mixer output, the key-down Vrms on pin 4 of U10 is 0.002 (vs.
about 0.016 in the manual); the buffer output, the key-down Vrms on pin 6 of
U9, is 0.097 (vs. 0.2 in the manual).  So the ratio of my two values (~50) is
pretty far off from the typical (~12.5).  Is this a red herring, or significant?

Many thanks for any help!!!
73
Eric N0HHS
KX1 #670