Tom asks,

<...What is the best soldering station to use in construction a K2- and why ?

The one you already have!  Which, in my case is a good ol' Weller WTCPT, which
I've owned since 1980 or so.  I use the smallest conical tip, 700 degrees F,
which appears to work quite well.  It's also useful for assembling adapter
cables, soldering RF connectors (small ones!) and the like.  (Who don't
manufacturers standardize on connectors?)

73 de Art KD4CSO