[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

> You got to admit - this
> dwarfs the freedom antennas of VOA.

Well, maybe.

But it doesn't dwarf the antennas of NAA (Cutler, ME) or SAQ (Grimeton,
Sweden), or many others.

What's unique about it is the directivity.

> Back in the cold war, they talked about the
> russian jet fighters - which still had vacuum
> tube VHF rigs in them.  Apparently, they had
> a better natural anti-jamming ability, that
> some of our hot U.S. fighters of those days.

Nope.

The Soviets used tubes in their electronics back then.
because their available industrial resources couldn't
make and support solid-state electronics of the type needed.

They could have imported all the solid-state devices needed,
but they decided it was more important not to become
dependent on foreign technology.

We could learn something from that.

Even today, tubes have some specialized uses. Every microwave oven has one.
And the New Horizons mission to Pluto, which is the fastest manmade object in
history, has a couple of Traveling Wave Tubes (TWTs) aboard for the radio.

73 de Jim, N2EY