I belong to a few other lists. One notable list  is the Yaesu FT100/D group.
If you have never visited, they are a Yahoo group  list.   I have an FT100 and
its a terrific rig in many ways. In Some  ways it is similar to the K2 size
power, etc but in no way resembles the K2 as a  receiving tool. When it comes
to mainline suppliers, I consider Yaesu to be one  of the best, or least up til
a few years ago. I have many of their radios and on  two occasions I have
used their repair service with excellent results. That  said, if you were to go
to the Yahoo list archive, you will find volumes of  traffic about the fact
they will not service rigs with dead power transistors.  Why?, because the
manufacturer, Motorola (small no-name semi outfit in Arizona),  stopped
producing
the devices. That coupled with a high failure rate because  of  questionable
and
uncharacteristic (for Yaesu)  assembly processes  have produced a large
number of owners who are very disappointed with the  product. By shear trial
and
misfortune, most owners have been able to head off  failure. Those of us who
have survived have learned how to clean excess flux  from the mounting surfaces
of the power xistors, add star washers and re-torque  fasteners and ground
screws, modify cooling fans so they run when needed, run  reduced power for
limited duty cycle, etc, etc.

The best assurance you  can have is a good design team that won't paint you
into a corner.  How  many of you can name even one designer that has worked on
your Yaesu, Icom,  Kenwood? I'll bet most of you have personally met the
designers at  Elecraft.  THAT makes the difference to me.

Al WA6VNN