I am just a couple of years past 50, and it sounds like something the Phil
Silver would do

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Stan Rife
Sent: Wednesday, June 13, 2007 11:50 AM
To: wayne burdick; Elecraft Reflector
Subject: Re: [Elecraft] flagrantly OT: name of WWII comedian who
"...couldteach Morse code to a dog...."?

Was that Phil Silver????  Not sure if he was 40's era or not, but I used to
watch him back in the 50's on TV when I was a kid.

  Stan Rife
  W5EWA

wayne burdick <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
  I heard this very funny piece on NPR a couple of years ago about a
40's-era comedian who did skits about military life. In one skit he
played a radio-class instructor disgusted with a new class of
underachieving recruits who were there to learn the code. He chastised
them for not studying while bragging that he could teach anyone the
code, even "a dog," which cracked up the studio audience (or, I'm not
sure which, prompted the laugh-track operator to open it up all the
way).

Being not quite 50, I wasn't there. I bet a few of you were :) I
couldn't find his name with a web search. Anyone have a clue?

tnx
Wayne
N6KR

---