After several years of faithful service, my K2/100 (with KDSP2 and KSB2) has
developed a perplexing malady.  The crystal filter passband will not adjust to
center on a 600hz sidetone.  As you adjust the filters towards 600 hz using
Spectrogram (say OP1), the filter shape degrades and then severely attenuates
the signal until NO audio signal is visible on the Spectrogram display.  I have
repeated the key realignment procedures three times, with  identical results.

The long story.  The K2/100 generated an Info 080 message that I started
diagnosing.  The problem "self-corrected" which lead me to believe it was
probably a loose connection to the KPA100.  Despite lots of opening and closing
the case, the problem has not reappeared.

I now have better test equipment than I had when I built the K2 (serial 4357)
and it seemed like a good time to realign the transceiver.  I did a complete
realignment, with minimal changes except a slight kick to the 4Mhz oscillator
and a reasonable amount of repeaking of the bandpass filters.  So far so good.
All of the key tests/parameters were within range.

When I started to set the filters, however, I could not get them within range.
As noted above, I can not shift the passband to cover a 600hz sidetone.  The
filters appear to center around 900-1000 hz.  I have attempted to set the
filters back to my prior CAL FIL BFO settings, but to no avail.

The following are the test results from this realignment.

PLL Reference Oscillator Range Test

High = 12101.55
Low  =  12088.14
Dif  = 13.44  (Acceptable 9.8 - 15)

VCO Voltage  all greater than 1.5 v, less than 7.5 v.

BFO Test

BFO High = 4917.42  (Acceptable >= 4916.3)
BFO Low  = 4912.34  (Acceptable <= 4912.7)
Range    =    5.08  (Acceptable >= 3.6)

Transmit frequency is +- 10 hz.  However, zero beating a 600hz sidetone against
the 7.00 Mhz birdie **appears** to be around 7000.35 Khz.  (I never fully trust
zero beating as I am tonally challenged...)

Any ideas??

Howard W. Ashcraft, Jr.
Hanson, Bridgett, Marcus, Vlahos & Rudy
425 Market Street, 26th Fl.
San Francisco, CA 94105

ph:     415.995.5073
fax:    415.541.9366
e:       [EMAIL PROTECTED]

*****************************
This communication, including any attachments, is confidential and may be
protected by privilege.  If you are not the intended recipient, any use,
immediately notify the sender by telephone or email, and permanently delete all
copies, electronic or other, you may have.

To ensure compliance with requirements imposed by the IRS, we inform you that
any tax advice contained in this communication (including any attachments) was
not intended or written to be used, and cannot be used, for the purpose of (i)
avoiding penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or (ii) promoting, marketing
or recommending to another party any transaction or matter addressed herein.

The foregoing applies even if this notice is embedded in a message that is
forwarded or attached.