Yup, do it.  You won't regret it, nor will you blow the PA.

With internal Lithium batteries (the non-chargable kind), I ran 33 feet of hook-up wire from a picnic table to a 30 foot push-up mast, and in the middle of 20-meter Saturday afternoon FD bedlam worked Utah, Colorado, Maine, Vermont, Texas, and Tennessee with 1.2 watts.

I would also recommend the little speakers recently talked about on the reflector that you can get at Walgreen's in a blister pack -- two for $10. They're the cat's meow. By the way, rumor has it that some guy gobbled up a bunch of those blister packs from every Walgreen he passed on his way to Dayton and then peddled them to the unsuspecting for $20 a speaker. Makes a mother proud!

73,

Kent  K9ZTV

Bernie Gardner wrote:

Last week I reported a little problem in the power output of this radio. I took Don's advice and checked all relevant components (all seemed ok) and then managed to get the correct relationship between 20 and 40 meter outputs by adjusting both L1 and L2 as he suggested. The power still seemed low, but I used for a few days. Last Saturday I installed the 30-80 upgrade. That went ok (but one of the more intense Elecraft experiences!) Everything seems ok now except the power is still low. I even made a few contacts Sunday in Field day using a wire in a tree in the backyard and the KX1 on it's internal batteries. It really is a great thing and I look forward to taking it with me on future trips. The only problem is that the power out with a 13.4V supply, as measured with the DL1 dummy load, varies from 2.6W on 30m to 1.9W on 20m, so it is clearly below specs. These values are within less than 10% of values from an analog Daiwa power meter, so I think they are close to correct. So the question is, should I change the two resistors? Is the extra watt on external or 1/2W on internal power worth the risk of overdriving the output transistor?

Bernie
W1AZ