On Fri, 29 Jun 2007 22:55:38 EDT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

>The term may have been 'officialized' by the  article, but I
>remember K6MJX offering to be my 'Elmer' when I was 14 years old
>in 1958. I asked him then where the term came from and he said he
>didn't know -  it was like Ham which had fuzzy origins. The term
>was in usage here and there  well before the 70's

  I first discovered ham radio in 1951 in my high school radio
  club (W2CLE, allegedly the first HS radio club licensed on the
  US) and the term was not in use there at the time.

  Anyhow, my "Elmer"s were named Gene and Jack !  We were all
  the same general age (14).

--
   73 de K2ASP - Phil Kane
   Elecraft K2/100   s/n 5402