The monitor levels are independent of and not changed by the main and sub volume controls.

73, Eric

Augie Hansen wrote:
AB7R wrote:
Of the four knobs to the left of the main tuning knob, the lower right one has a HOLD function of MON (Monitor). This adjusts both the sidetone level
and monitor level in other modes.

I had assumed there is a way to set the desired monitoring levels and I appreciate the description of the means by which this is done. However, there is still a question about the effect of changes to the receive audio levels (AF and SUB) on those monitor levels. If the K3 is like the K2, there will be no effect, which is what I hope will be the case. I don't want the TX monitor level to change when I adjust RX audio levels.

Examples of rigs that do alter the TX monitor level when the RX audio level is changed are all of the Icom transceivers that I have owned. They inject the TX monitor into the audio stream before the AF gain control circuit and treat that control as a "master" level control for both RX and TX. On the other hand, my Yaesu FT-1000mp injects the TX monitor signal into the audio chain on its own input, separate from the RX audio, as in a mixer with individual level controls. That way, I can crank the RX audio way up to hear the weak ones and not blow out my eardrums with monitor audio when I transmit. Much safer in my view.

Cheers,
Gus Hansen
KB0YH