A comparison of the kit K2 vs the modular K3 has previously been made:

http://www.ac6rm.net/mailarchive/html/elecraft-list/2007-05/msg00837.html

If you add on the cost of a builder, shipping from the builder back to
you, then you have to REALLY want a K2 to cost-justify getting one
now.

Did Elecraft unintentionally put the K2 semi-official "builders" out to pasture?

Very happy with my K2; anxiously awaiting my K3 (and even more
anxiously awaiting the receiver specs for the K3 which, I hope, will
precede the arrival of my K3!).

de Doug KR2Q