My K2 just started doing the same thing. I redid all the solder joints between the board and the encoder, then checked the list archives to see if anyone else had that problem.

I am going to order and install a new encoder. The reason I think that it is the encoder itself is that with the knob off and the nut on the encoder loose, I can wiggle it around to get it to work. You would think that would be a bad solder joint, but as I said, I redid all four wires and checked them with an ohmmeter. I think it's something internal to the encoder.

It's not a hard part to replace. I will let you know how it goes. In the meantime, I am using rig control to adjust frequency. :-(

73,

John, WA6L

Just started the the alignment & test Part 1 on my K2 (Rev. f) page 42. Everything went well, no smoke or error codes, until I got to the Optical Encoder Test step2. It says to turn VFO knob in both directions and verify that displayed freq. changes accordingly. The only change I see is the right most digit, and it only changes from 7100.00 to 7100.01. Obviously not much movement. Have not seen this particular problem posted so I'm in the dark as to know how to fix it other than check my previous work. Any help would be
appreciated.
Guy Bridge
N7BIR

--
The world is best viewed through the ears of a horse.