Sam,

First, you did not waste your money. It is the motional inductance parameter for the crystals that is now better controlled (spec with the xtal vendor) - the crystals have always been matched to the nearest 10 Hz as far as I know. The newer speced crystals are in K2 kits after SN 2559.

For the grounding on both sides, there is a good description in the more recent K2 manuals - download the new manual and take a look at the section where the crystals are installed.

I also ground the KSB2 crystals near the base too - that must be done sequentially as you add the crystals. Don't worry much if the process is not obvious to you, the improvement is not very much - not enough to fret over.

73,
Don W3FPR

Sam Morgan wrote:
So what is Eric calling new?
http://www.ac6rm.net/mailarchive/html/elecraft-list/2002-12/msg00141.html

I have K2 #2481 and just ordered the K2KSB2XTLS did I waste my monies?

I thought the K2KSB2XTLS was a more closely matched set that would give me a better shape factor than the generic one that was installed whenever #2481 was built?

Also I remember seeing a web page with some comments on a *better way* to ground the xtals. Can anyone point me to it?