On Jul 8, 2007, at 6:47 AM, Patrick Lynch wrote:

I am looking for an adapter that would allow me connect my hand held
transceiver to a PL-259 connector. What I am trying to do is hook my hand held to an outside antenna. I am currently in Iraq and sleep at night in what is known as a "CHU" (Containerized Housing Unit) which is basically a metal box that is covered in sandbags. There are also what is known as Hesco Barriers surrounding the immediate area to protect you from indirect fire attack. None of these structures make for good antenna reception. I would like to receive radio calls from my staff in case issues comer up at night. I hope to place a base station type antenna on the roof giving me
some line of sight to the HQ.  I am not sure all of the connectors on
commercial Icom handhelds are standard.  Anyone have any ideas?

I don't have any recent Icom handhelds, but I suspect that they are now using SMA connectors, as are Yaesu and some other manufacturers. I don't know of there are any SMA to PL-259 adapters, but putting that with some RG-8 coax on an SMA connection might introduce an unacceptable strain on the radio. I would advise using a SMA to BNC adapter and a short cable with a BNC on one end and a PL-259 on the other.

73, Bob N7XY
.