Gary

Thanks for the timely response. Comments after your text:

On Mon, 2007-09-07 at 10:34 -0700, Gary Surrency wrote:
> I see 271.6 ohms between U6-8 and ground on my K2, using a Fluke 179 digital
> meter. So there is no misprint in the manual.

My measurements were with an Ideal 766 true RMS DMM

> It is fairly common for me to find a reversed 78L05 regulator at U8, so look
> for that.

No reversal of U8

> Your soldering iron should have a grounded tip

Using Hakko 936 ESD protected

> Do NOT press the transistors down too close to the PCB or their leads may
> short together or break off. Leave a small gap between the device and the
> top of the board.
>
> Do NOT remove parts without good reason to do so

Part removal was a last resort in the interests of isolating the part of
the circuit that was causing the low U6-8 resistance.

> Be sure the PLL thermistor board is not installed wrong

With the thermistor board removed the U6-8 resistance remaiins low

> Did you ever try turning on the power to see what would happen? Sometimes
> that is a good (or the only) way to determine if there is a problem or not.
> The 5V and 8V regulator IC's will self-limit the current and usually a part
> will not be damaged unless it is installed in reverse or at the wrong
> location. Look closely for such an error before removing any part or
> applying power.

I was trying to avoid the smoke test!

Gary, could you comment on my detailed work procedure at least in the
summary at the end or maybe in the procedure with results provided in
detail. Without your insight, I do not know what else to try!!

Thanks again for the quick reply to my email, Gary

Arthur VE9BP

--
Arthur Gunn VE9BP

74 Mill Bank Road