Most modern transceivers, including
the Elecraft rigs, have virtually no output within 100 Hz or so of the
carrier frequency, thanks to the excellent I.F. filters they use. That makes
finding zero beat with the sidetone mandatory to avoid an error or 100 Hz or
more in trying to tune onto the other station's frequency.

Ron AC7AC
==================================
My Drake R4C had good IF filters but I could move the filter over to the
carrier frequency with the excellent passband tuning and "see" the beat note
on the (analog) S meter.  The needle would go from a fast vibration to a
slower one with more movement as I approched zero beat.  No hearing needed.
This was how I set the xtal calibrator to zero beat with WWV.  Then , I
could read a frequency to the nearest khz, something I could only dream of
with older rigs.

73
Rick Dettinger
K7MW