The filters are working great!  After receiving my beta rig I did alot of
listening
during the first contest I could find.  Hearing weak CW sigs with nearby sigs
at
+30 and +40 2 kHz away was no problem...even with closer spacing there was no
problem.

I presently have 400 Hz, 1.0 kHz, 2.8 kHz and a 6 kHz.  I will also have a 200
Hz
filter installed which will be great for CW and digital modes.  What I really
like
is being able to only turn on the filters for a particular mode that I want to
use.  Its easy to setup....so I activate the 1 kHz and 400 Hz filters for CW
and
DATA modes and the 2.8 and 6 kHz for SSB.  When adjusting the WIDTH control,
the
active roofing filters will will automaticlly be selected as soon as you cross
its
threshsold.  So if I am on CW and listening with a wide BW...say 800 Hz, the
1kHz
will be in line.  Rotating the knob down to 400 Hz or below will switch to the
400
Hz filter.  No need to do anything else.  But..if you want, you CAN manually
select
another filter and the DSP BW will normalize to match that BW.

Another neat filtering option is the I/II toggle.  I keep a filter profile set
up
as wide in the I bank and narrow in the II bank.  So instead of having to make
manual adjustments, I can just use that HOLD feature to toggle between the two
setting.

For casual operating.....you "can" suffice with the supplied 2.7 kHz filter and
use
the DSP for the final BW.  But you are not going to get the most out of the
K3's
capabilities by doing so.

Look...you're getting a top of the line receiever here.  And if you are getting
one, I suspect at SOME time you will dabble in at least a contest or two or
some
DXing....even with casual operating you are at times going to come up against
some
strong nearby signals.  You WILL want the tools available to deal with them
effectively.  If you work CW....I really recommend at least the 400 or 500 Hz
filter options.  If you are doing allot of contesting...get one even
narrower...and
it will suit your digital mode needs as well.

73,
Greg - AB7R
Whidbey Island WA
NA-065

On Thu Jul 19  7:57 , "Franki ON5ZO"  sent: